There have been hundreds of books and papers written on goal setting. I have read my share of them over the years. Even though many of the authors have different views about the mechanics of goal setting, most of them stress the importance of having clearly defined goals.
Setting goals is pointless if you haven’t yet taken charge of your own life. Brian Tracy has a chapter in his 2003 masterpiece book “Goals!” with that title: Take Charge of Your Life.
He talks about a defining moment when he was 21 years old, that changed his life. He realized that everything that would happen to him for the rest of his life was going to be up to him. No one was ever going to help him. No one was coming to the rescue. He learned at that young age what most people in their 40’s and 50’s still haven’t learned. And that is responsibility.
Here are 6 different ways to take charge of your life and start being a success.
1. Figure out what your biggest problem is. Are you in anyway responsible for this problem? This cuts right to where it hurts. Being self responsible and actually saying “I am responsible” will cancel any negative emotions you are experiencing.
2. Picture yourself as the President of your big company. Would you act any differently if you suddenly owned 100% of the shares? This is so important when it comes to building your own network marketing business. Are you just a part-timer or a some-timer? To be successful you need to assume total ownership of your company. And then start acting like it.
3. Make the choice today to never again blame anyone else for your problems. Instead accept total responsibility for every aspect of your life. What actions should you be taking? So many people go through life being a victim. They live a life of failure and mediocrity because they mistakenly blame someone else for their problems. A great action to take is to ratchet up your level of responsibility. Again say over and over “I am responsible.”
4. Commit to never again making an excuse and instead start moving ahead. Picture in you mind that your favorite excuses are really not even true. How would this change your actions? For many network marketers, they have many excuses why they can’t prospect, or pick up the telephone. This is a fantastic exercise to quit procrastinating and get productive.
5. Picture yourself as the important creative force in your own life. You are where you are and what you are because of your own choices and decisions. What do you think you should change? This is one of those exercises that smacks you right across your head. You are exactly where you are in life because of your thinking. Change your thinking. Refuse to accept mediocrity. Push yourself constantly toward your goal.
6. If anyone has ever hurt you, decide today to forgive them and let it go. Don’t even discuss it again. It is history.
Once you have grappled with the 6 items above, you will be much more ready to embark on your goal setting challenge. There is nothing like a positive “kick in the pants” to foster more responsibility and less blaming of others.
Do you like articles like this one? Are you also looking for a way to perhaps “fire your boss?” Brian Tracy has pioneered and incredible Network Marketing business with ZERO competition and an unheard of 95% retention rate. Look, click the link right below this and then email me that you want to get started. I will introduce you to the fastest moving team and a sure fire way to get a ton of leads.